Sunday, May 26, 2013

40 minutes for Life, plus other things.

I took part in the 40 minutes for Life vigil at the Planned Parenthood clinic at the corner of Twin Oaks and Craven in San Marcos.  It just happens to be across the street from San Marcos State University.  I had to leave early, but I'll try to stay longer next time.  This activity was inspired by the 40 Days for Life vigils that take place twice a year, and takes place the last Sunday of the month.

This has been a rotten month.  On May 2, our cat was unexpectedly run over.  It was in a mobile home park, not the busy street.   A week later, my mom succumbed to angiosarcoma, which was drowning her lungs with fluid.  After we took her home from the hospital we had hospice care set up for her at home, where the hospice nurse had my sister Elizabeth give her the pain and sedative medications.  That was very hard on Elizabeth, and she was wondering if she was doing the right thing.  I asked on a Facebook support group for rare diseases if it was normal in hospice for the nurse to have the family members give these medications.  Someone on that group replied that it wasn't, but things developed too quickly for that answer to do any good.  My mom died the next day.  We had the funeral at St. Kieran's Church on the 18th, and a get-together afterwards.  We'll be having a private ceremony in a couple weeks where we'll place her ashes next to my dad's.



--

"Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer"--Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment