Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Some unwelcome personal developments

In an earlier post on my blog I described how my dad succumbed to a neurological disorder called multiple system atrophy. Now comes news that my mom has had a recurrence of angiosarcoma, a type of cancer that arises in blood and lymph vessels.  They're going to do a scan to see if the recurrence is localized or not, but they described it as a "glimmer of hope".  It comes on top of my having to take time off from work after being diagnosed with shingles, and the restaurant where I've been working being re-located while I was still on sick leave.  I got Mom a Blackmore's Night CD for Christmas because she always listens to a Celtic music program.  The last Christmas present I gave Dad was a reaching device to help pick up objects without having to bend over.  I'd actually gotten that for both of them, but Dad made more use of it in his final months before going to the nursing home.

An update, December 15:

They did the scan and did not find metastases in any vital organs, just in the skin.  They're going to remove the skin and replace it with a graft on Jan. 4.
--
"Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer"--Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment