Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The start of 40 Days for Life

I went to the 40 Days for Life Kickoff vigil in El Cajon last night.  There were I guess about 40 people there including a few regulars.  I also went to the kickoff vigil in Miramar earlier tonight.as well, and there were I think about 60 people. Roger Lopez and Dr. Delgado were among the speakers. LifeNews and LifeSiteNews have also covered the start of the campaign.  I was away from pro-life for far too long, but at the same time pro-life often seems empty now with my dad gone these past few years.  I try to remember a prayer verse which goes, "There's nothing that destroys more life than abortion."

My mom is back from the nursing home and is receiving Gleevec as chemotherapy.  She also just got back from a trip to Santa Barbara with my two sisters and my cousin.  She's often had high blood pressure,  but it's been lower than usual. Her systolic is 150, but her diastolic is in the 40s.  She'll be seeing her doctor Thursday.

National Review Online published an editorial entitled Mandatory Abortion Coverage? which discussed, among other things, the limitations on the ability of contraception to reduce abortions.  Among the points made were that among low-income co-habiting teens, the failure rate for birth control pills was 48.4% and 71.7% for condoms.  The high failure rate may be in part due to the low educational level of many people in this income bracket, but another point made was that if one is only 3 hours late with progestin-only pills emergency contraception is advised for unprotected intercourse.  In addition, out of 23 studies not one showed that the availability of emergency contraception did anything to reduce the number of abortions.

--
"Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer"--Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)

1 comment:

  1. This is Robert; I just recently opened a WordPress account which you can find by clicking on my link.

    ReplyDelete